photo zex.png

The Latest

Monday, June 3, 2013

Metal Pedals Blue Crunch OD Pedal,... (Review)

Reviewed By: Jac Harrison
Purchased from: Manufacturer
Street Price: $230.00 USD + tax & shipping

About: 
Metal Pedals is an American manufacturer of boutique, hand-crafted, guitar effects pedals.

This Blue Crunch OD pedal features a pre amp with 3 band EQ and is made using the highest quality of materials, custom boards, point-to-point component placement and 22 gauge wiring. 

Sound 

Amp Used: 
Mesa Boogie 1x12 


Guitar used:

Reliability & Durability:
This pedal is a well built and I would have confidence using it in the studio and/or on the road. 

Impression:
As most of my readers and friends know -- I am not a pedal guy. I personally just use a tuner pedal and the sound of my amp -- but I always have a backup in my bag. I have been at a gig and had my amp crapped out on me, and ever since that happened I keep an OD pedal and DI box in my bag -- so if it ever happens again -- I will be prepared. But for a pedal to get my attention it needs to be something special. This is that something special. 

One of my pet peeves with OD pedals is what I refer to as its "tone robbing proprieties". If I only had a piece of s**t amp and I was looking to make it sound tolerable -- well then I guess I would be all over pedals -- but I searched for my tone and bought an amp that just makes me happy. I have found that most pedals will rob your amp of it's natural tone while giving you a half assed version of what they were designed to do. Every pedal that I have used from Metal Pedals has done just the opposite and has complemented the overall tone characteristics of an amp without removing any of it desirable qualities. Metal Pedals are NOT band-aids -- they are true effects that deliver tone.  

So to this review -- the only way to describe this pedal is as a pocket 5150 II without the compression. The Blue Crunch was able to make the demo amp (Mesa Boogie 1x12) sound like a much larger, fuller amp that had some soul. A very different sound than without the pedal, but at the same time you could still hear the positive natural quality's from this amp. So over all -- this pedal replaces the bad with great without killing your amps soul. 

My advice:
If you are a pedal person this is a must have -- if you are like me and only use a pedal as a backup -- this is still a must have. Buy it! 

Contact
Metal Pedals
2 North Commerce Sq. Suite 304
Robbinsville, NJ 08691
(P) 609 915-5452 
metalpedals.com

Posted 06/2013