photo zex.png

The Latest

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dark Horse Nickel Elec Guitar Strings ... (Review)

Reviewed By: Jac Harrison
Purchased from: Manufacturer
Street Price: $5.75 USD 

About: 
Dark Horse Nickel Elec Guitar Strings  10-46
Dark Horse Strings are the manufacturer of  guitar and bass strings. According to the Dark Horse Strings website they produce a hand wound, UN-coated string. They claim that they give attention to detail when winding each individual string, and state of the art quality control methods make their strings superb in sound and durability.

Sound 
Guitar used: 
Epiphone "less than" Paul
Jeppson Anaconda
 
Cables used:
Mogami

Amp Used:
Vox Pathfinder 15r 

Impression: 
My first impression was that the strings had a tight feel to them, not the typical slinky feel like other nickle strings I have used--almost steel like but a little softer. I am a huge fan of nickle strings mostly for the tone, but I have become accustomed to their feel. After getting used to the string tension it was time to hear what they where made of. The bottom end was full with crisp highs and a full mid-range. The strings gave both guitars more of a rock/blues sound as opposed to the jazz-blues sound I was expecting. With that said I think they would be great for a rockabilly, southern rock, rock blues, country or pop artist.  

My advice:  
Try them, strings are all about your preference in sound. I can say that the quality of the product meets my expectations as well as their customer service. This is another great example of a small family owned business with good core values and pride in their product.   

Contact:
Dark Horse Strings 
darkhorsestrings.com/Contact-Us
darkhorsestrings.com

Posted 04/2012