photo zex.png

The Latest

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lazy B Cigar Box Guitar, ... (Review)

Reviewed By: Jac Harrison
Purchased from: Manufacturer  
Street Price: $75 USD + shipping


About: 
Lazy B Cigar Box Guitars is a Manufacturer of handcrafted, American-built electric cigar box guitars. 


This 3 string model has a Drew Estate cedar cigar box for a resonator with finger jointed corners and a fretless poplar neck with oak fingerboard.

Hardware
Open gear folk type tuners with white pearloid knobs, the guitar hardware is actual hardware! Eye bolt for bridge and carriage bolt for nut. 

Electronics: 
Piezo acoustic pickup (can be used with a signal booster for greater output)

This guitar has open E tuning and is meant to be used with a slide.

Sound

Amp used 
Fishman SA220 

Cables used:
Mogami

Acoustic/plugged in:  
It sounded like a cigar box slide guitar there is no other way to describe it other than hillbilly banjo-ish.   

Impression: 
This thing is a blast to play. I felt like I was in the woods in Kentucky waiting on the mash to ferment in my still while keeping a lookout for the law. I used a glass slide (beer bottle) and it sounded great. It took some getting used to but once I got the hang of it the guitar was easy to play. The best part was that the nut was a real nut, like from the hardware store. It made me think of how the cigar box guitar started out. The earliest illustrated proof of a cigar box instrument known is an etching copyrighted in 1876 of two Civil War Soldiers at a campsite with one playing a cigar box fiddle. It just shows that if your love for music is there you will use whatever you have to make your instrument. With that said if I found myself without and guitar (just the thought of that makes me sad) and I needed to make one with anything I could find, I would want it to to be like this one. 

What I would change: 
Not a damn thing! 

My advice:
This is not a novelty guitar, it is a playable instrument. It's not a Les Paul or a Strat but a good example of old fashioned American ingenuity. Pour a shot of white lighting, sit on the porch and play.

Contact   

 
Posted 04/2012