photo zex.png

The Latest

Monday, April 9, 2012

Silverbox Effects Smooth Blaster Classic Overdrive ... (Review)

Reviewed By: Jac Harrison
Purchased from: Manufacture
Street Price: $105.00 USD + shipping

About: 
Silverbox Effects smooth blaster classic overdrive
Silverbox Effects Pedals are hand crafted in Buenos Aires Argentina. This boutique pedal has touch sensitive overdrive that responds to your playing, internal trimmer, true bypass switching with grounded input and is housed in a compact 16 gauge steel enclosure with detachable rubber feet.

Ease of Use: It's incredibly easy to use, Three controls: Output , Comp, & Drive. The output adjusts your output volume, the comp knob controls dynamic response & drive is the amount of overdrive.  


Sound: 
I used a hand-built archtop with 1960 Gibson PAF's (not reissues) through my Vox Pathfinder 15r. To start, holy crap this thing spanked my Vox Ice 9 and sent it home to it's Satriani in tears. In a press release Silverbox sent me on this pedal there was a quote in it that was catchy but I didn't think it would be true; boy I was wrong! The only way to describe this pedal is creamy harmonically rich sparkling tube-style overdrive.


Impression:
It is a well built pedal that I would have confidence in using in the studio and on the road. It was one of the best examples I have seen that gives you that in your face sound with the "creamy" harmonics piercing through that makes you want to play loud.


My advice:
I would add this to my pedal board, and strongly recommend it to anyone that has a need for an overdrive pedal!


Contact
Silverbox Effects  
Buenos Aires Argentina
(P) (011) 15 3 664 1424