photo zex.png

The Latest

Monday, April 9, 2012

Cleartone Strings vs My Opinion ... (Review)

Reviewed By: Jac Harrison
Purchased from: Anthill Music
Street Price: $10.00 USD


About: 
Cleartone Strings, a division of Everly music based in Burbank, CA. They are the manufacture of  guitar and bass strings. They produce stings that are coated using a unique technique and chemical process. According to the Cleartone website this patented treatment and coating process is designed to keep your strings sounding fresh, 3-5 times longer than un-coated strings. 

Before you read any further please know that I do not like treated strings. I use Red Brand, this sting is just about pure copper without a coating and it is the best string I have every used on an acoustic.

Side by side comparison :
I strung up 2 of the same guitars,  I used both of my Parkwood  grand concert's. This guitar has a solid Sitka spruce top with solid Indian rosewood back and sides. Both have a full Tusq by graphtech up-grade of nut, saddle, and pins. So I put my red's on one and the Cleatone on the other.

Impression:
My fist impression was that I couldn't feel the coating and that is what I hate most about treated strings. That almost plastic snot feeling you get on your fingertips. The second thing I noticed was the tone, it was clear and warm, but not my red's. After 2 weeks of playing both guitars for an hour a day my reds where dead and they needed to be replace. So I replaced them with the another well know coated brand that comes stock on a guitar the rimes with sailor. Not only could I feel the plastic snot like coating but the sound was just bad, but If I was truly going to put these strings to the test I would have to bring myself to play both brands. So for an hour a day for the next 3 weeks I played both guitars. This past Friday the other brand that comes stock on a guitar the rimes with sailor went dead. Not only did the Cleartones out last my un-coated strings, but they out lasted another brand of coated strings. So I think I will used Cleartone phosphor bronze for everyday use, but I will always use my red's in the studio. 

My advice:
Try them, strings are all about your preference in sound. They also seem to really hold up as long as the manufacture claims, and that can save you a few bucks a year.

Contact
Cleartone Strings
Burbank, CA
cleartonestrings.com

Posted 04/2012