photo zex.png

The Latest

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Howlin' Moon model #152 by Malinoski Guitars,... (Review)

Reviewed By: Jac Harrison
Purchased from: Manufacturer
Street Price: $2,000 USD with case + shipping

About:
Malinoski Guitars is a manufacturer of handcrafted custom boutique American built electric and electric bass guitars.  

This Howlin' Moon model #152 has an acrylic lacquer and oiled walnut/ambrosia maple and ash/wenge stripe body dressed with an oiled ambrosia maple/douglas fir pickguard-control plate that flows into a 24 3/4" scale 7/8" slim "C" shaped maple neck with a padauk fretboard featuring 24 large frets topped with a 1 11/16" delrin nut with a total weight of 6 lbs 13 oz.

Hardware:
Tonepros AVT2G wraptail nickel tumbled bridge, chrome hipshot locking machine heads, (1) volume (1) tone controls in tiger wood.               

Electronics:
Malinoski P-90's -- (1) neck P-90, 42g A2 V of 7.2 (1) bridge P-90, 42g A5 V of 8.6 with (2) 500K pots (1) .033uf polyester film cap, (1) variable compensation tone circuit, (1) 3-way toggle switch.   

Sound

Amp Used:
Fender Blues Jr.

Guitar Pick:
Gravity 1.5

Selector position 1: Just Neck
A fat P-90 very 59' reissue sounding but smoother 

Selector position 2: Neck & Bridge Parallel HB
A very usable bright aggressive parallel neck humbucker

Selector position 3: Just Bridge 
A warm broken in P-90 bridge 

Action, Fit & Finish:
Everything on this guitar was hand made excluding the bridge, tuners, knobs and pots. The pickups, pickup covers, body, neck, fretboard, etc. This is really a playable piece of art. The action was low without buzz, and the intonation was dead on. The finish was natural and beautiful without a flaw. The guitar felt like it was built with care and attention to detail as are all Malinoski Guitars. 

Reliability & Durability: 
The guitar is well built. There was no pick-up hum or crackles from the electronics -- all knobs and hardware installed snug and proper.

Impression:
Every time I play one of Peter's guitars I'm just blown away by his creativity and vision. His guitars look like abstract art -- but at the same time they play better than most guitar on the market today. His unique body designs hug the player allowing for a comfortable playing position whether you are sitting or standing. With this model weighing in at just 6 lbs 13 oz or 1/2 the weight of a traditional Les Paul -- there is no reason why you couldn't play this beauty all night. 


Me in the Malinoski Guitars room at the NY Amp Show June 1st 2013 
With most light weight or weight reduction guitars (like a Les Paul or Parker Fly) you sacrifice your tone as the guitar gets lighter. I'm not sure how Peter does it -- but this guitar sounded fat and full with an amazing amount of sustain and she has that soundboard snap you really only get with a full arch. After playing at least 25 different models over the last 2 years -- I've just stopped wondering how he is able to defy logic and I just enjoy playing his masterpieces.  

So to the review -- I had my bassist with me at the NY Amp Show when I was in the Malinoski Guitars room and we got to jam for a few. This girl was sexy and thin with a deep cutaway allowing me to fly up and down her neck without any hesitation. The overall tone I was able to get was very similar to what I would expect from an SG or Les Paul. I am a neck player that prides myself on having one of the best humbucker that I have ever heard in one of my personal guitars  -- but I do not have a P-90 setup that I'm comfortable with. The Malinoski P-90's are no joke -- and when I'm ready for my next personal guitar -- it may just be a Malinoski.   

What I would change:
Not a damn thing -- 

My advice:
I have the same advice as I did with the last 3 Malinoski guitars I reviewed. If you are a collector, or you are looking for that unique guitar, that will make you stand out this is it. So my advice is buy one.

Contact:
Peter Malinoski Guitars
MD, United States 




Follow Local Music Gear on facebook -HERE-



Posted 6/2013
© 2013 localmusicgear.com All rights reserved