photo zex.png

The Latest

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Speaker Cranker Overdrive Pedal by EarthQuaker Devices,... (Review)


Reviewed By: Jac Harrison
Purchased from: Manufacturer
Street Price: $105.00 USD + tax & shipping

About: 
EarthQuaker Devices is an American manufacturer of boutique, hand-crafted, guitar effects pedals.

This Speaker Cranker features one control knob (more) with true bypass. This OD pedal is designed, in the words of the manufacturer "to give your amp some grit and a slight boost without drastically changing the character or tone of your set up".

SPECS

Measures:
4.37″ X 2.37″ X 1.5″ with knobs

Power:
9v Battery or any standard 9 volt DC power supply with a negative center 2.1mm barrel.

Controls:
More: Controls the amount of "more".

SOUND

Amp used: 
Bogner Alchemist 2 x12
Dr Z 1x12
Peavey 5051 
Marshall MG102FX
Vox Night Train
Vox Pathfinder 15R

Guitars Used: 
Chili Custom Guitars Viking 
Knaggs Choptank Tier 2 
Jarrett Forsa
Jarrett Zaffiro
D'Angelico EX-SS
Jeppson Spitfire 
Badd Guitsars NY Custom 

Cables used: 
Intex 

Strings used:
Dark Horse 10-46

Guitar Pick:
Gravity 1.5

Reliability & Durability:
This pedal is a well built and I would have confidence using it in the studio and/or on the road. 

Impression: 
For the most part I am not a pedal player. My setup is guitar into tuner pedal, into compressor pedal, in to a DC P3 power supply, into the amp. I am one of those lucky guys that just loves the way my amp sounds just the way it is -- so for a pedal to catch my attention -- it really needs to be something special. 

I had the pleasure of spending some time in the EarthQuaker Devices room at the NY Amp Show back in early June. They had some wonderful pedals that will color your tone and add that something special to your sound -- but like I had mentioned I'm good with my tone but I'm still curious to see what's out there. After playing around with their new pedals that had all the bells-and-whistles on them, my eyes caught this little yellow & black ugly duckling just chill'n on the pedalboard like it owned it. Now it only had one over-sized chicken head knob labeled "more"  -- and I thought hell, I like more... so I plugged in. 

This pedal blew me away -- not only did it NOT change the characteristics of my guitar or the amp's voicing, but it did exactly what it said ...more. Now we all know you can get a class A boost and get that "kind-of-more" out-of-your amp, but this was the real deal -- so I asked them to ship me one. A few weeks after the show my ugly duckling came in the mail and I wanted to put her to use right away. Now I knew how she sounded through the DR Z that was in the EarthQuaker Devices room, so I wanted to try her out on a wide verity of amps including cheap solid state with different guitars. I was very impressed with how translucent this pedal was and how it took on the characteristics of each amp regardless what guitar I was using. I received the same result every time -- the original tone and voicing with just more of it. 

To sum-it-up this is the "turn it up to eleven" pedal. It is a pure translucent boost that retains your amps tone and characteristics with out coloring it.    

My advice:
If you want your amp to go to "eleven" buy this pedal.












Contact
EarthQuaker Devices
328 Bishop St
Akron, Ohio 44307
info@earthquakerdevices.com
earthquakerdevices.com


Follow Local Music Gear on facebook -HERE-



Posted 7/2013
© 2013 localmusicgear.com All rights reserved