photo zex.png

The Latest

Friday, April 5, 2013

The String Swing Hardwood Home & Studio Guitar Hanger,... (Review)


Reviewed By: Jac Harrison
Purchased from: Manufacturer
Street Price: $14.25 + Tax & Shipping

About:
String Swing is the Manufacturer of guitar hangers that enable you to keep your guitar(s) out of the case but properly supported and ready to play in a moment, yet safe from damage.

This review is on the Hardwood Home & Studio Guitar Hanger (CC01K).

Impression:
A little over three months ago I had received a String Swing from a friend that owns a local music store. As most of my readers know I have quite a few guitars -- but for the most part they were just sitting in their cases in a closet. One of my pet peeves is guitar stands. For the most part they are ugly and they take up way to much space. So to say the least I was curious to see if the String Swing would hold up. 

I'm a neurotic when it comes to the safety of my guitars -- so going into this review I was unsure about using a product that used molly bolts as its main support for weight distribution. With my guitars ranging in value form a few hundred to over $15,000 a piece, I didn't want to come home from work one day and walk in to find a shattered guitar on the floor. So I did what any neurotic would do -- I didn't use this product to display a guitar until I knew that it would be a safe alternative to a guitar stand or a case. The only way that I would be satisfied was to test its durability and push it to its limits to see how it held up.

This review was done over 1 month: 

Installation: A monkey can install a String Swing. If you even need to look at the directions you should never pick up a guitar again. Try playing the radio as it may be more your speed.  

The "will it hold the weight of my guitar" test

Since the heaviest guitar I own weighs in at 13.4 lbs, I took a 20 lbs weight and put it in the String Swing hanger. I figured that if I took the weight out of the String Swing every time I played a guitar and put it back when I was done, It would be comparable to my daily use.  After a week with the 20 lbs weight the string swing was still attached to the wall 100%. I did the same for a second week with a 35 lbs weight and the string swing was just fine. It wasn't until I used a 50 lbs weight that the string swing started to sag off the wall. So in regards to the "will it hold the weight of my guitar" test -- I believe the string swing can support any standard guitar safely.

The "what about wall vibration" test

Besides my fear that the Sting Swing hanger would just pop off the wall from the weight of the guitar -- I was also fearful that the guitar could just slide off the hanger do to wall vibration from a door slamming or loud music. I have been in music stores when a tractor trailer went zipping by and shook the displays -- and the store I was in had metal reinforced brackets holding the guitars in place.  So I went out and got a Squire Start for $50 and put it in the hanger. For the next two weeks I slammed the door leading to the room where the guitar was, and played bass guitar through and amp that was facing the wall in question. Once again to my surprise, the String Swing held up 100%. 

This is just one of those products that not only does what is is designed to do -- but even holds up under extreme conditions. 

My advice:
If you are looking for a way to free up floor space in your home or studio while keeping your guitar(s) safe -- buy a String Swing. 

Contact:
String Swing
P.O. Box 10
27515 State Hwy. 131
Ontario, WI 54651
(P) 608-435-6628
Toll Free: 1-888-455-6628
Fax: 1-608-435-6120
contact@stringswing.com
stringswing.com

Posted 04/2013