photo zex.png

The Latest

Thursday, May 3, 2012

EnRoute Music RP PorchBoard Micro Floor Bass ... (Review)

Reviewed By: Jac Harrison

Purchased from: Manufacturer
Street Price: $299.99 USD + tax and shipping 

About:  
EnRoute Music RP PorchBoard Micro Floor Bass.
EnRoute Music is the manufacturer of an analog low frequency response, foot controlled, portable percussion foot trigger (passive proximity sensor system) that simulates a bass drum.


Manufacturer description: 
The PorchBoard Bass plugs directly into an amplification system (set up much like a bass guitar would be) No additional power sources or batteries are required. Begin tapping (heel on heel rail and toe on suspended toe rail) with a very simple beat, tapping once or twice each measure.  With a little practice you will develop your own style and rhythm and your PorchBoard playing will become automatic. 

The PorchBoard is designed to produce a tone in the 33-100 HZ range (very low).  The 33 HZ (with a strong 99 HZ harmonic) was selected because it offers a strong supportive bass "thump" in any key- similar to a large marching band bass drum.  Often the nature of the sound tends to resemble a note when another instrument (such as a guitar) suggests a note.

Connections:
(1) quarter inch, (1) XLR  (or both simultaneously). 

Sound

Amp used 
Vox Pathfinder 15R 
Yorkville bloc 40k
Fishman sa220 
Fishman mini loudbox 
Fender frontman 10

Cables used:
Mogami 

Ease of use: 
You plug it in much like a guitar pedal and tap your foot to keep the rhythm. The only way it will not work is if you don't have feet and if you don't, you probably will not order this product.  

Sound: 
Depending on the amp and the 3 way switch on the face of the unit that changes the frequency response, the sound went from a big deep tight boom much like a bass drum to the sound you get when you tap your foot on the porch. 

Impression: 
My first thought was this could be a great way to get rid of my drummer, and that was exciting to me. The PorchBoard is a unique product like nothing else out there. It really does what it says it will do and it does it well. I am not a foot stomper when I play so it took a few songs to get used to, but it added another layer to my sound. Before I met the good fokes at EnRoute Music I had seen a musician named Sea Sick Steve use something like this and I wanted it, but I thought he had made it and I was SOL.  view here So to sum it up I like it, it's simple to set up and use, and it doesn't take up much space in my gear bag.

What I would change:
The only thing I would want is an adjustable heel rest, my dogs are huge and I could have used an inch or two more. The heel rest was in the middle of my arch, so I took it off.

My advice: 
If you're a solo artist this is a must, it is fun product that makes you and your audience feel the grove of your tune. It also makes you look cool and that alone is worth it. 

Contact: 
EnRoute Music
P.O. Box 8223
Janesville, WI  53547-8223
(P) 608-752-2229 
Posted 05/2012