photo zex.png

The Latest

Friday, May 18, 2012

Ardizzi Pickups Custom Classic Humbucker Set, ... (Review)

Reviewed By: Jac Harrison
Purchased from: Manufacturer
Street Price:
Ardizzi Pickups Custom Classic Humbucker set $299.99 USD + tax &  shipping

About:
The Ardizzi Pickups company is a Manufacturer of boutique handcrafted electric guitar and bass pickups. 

This review was conducted using a Jeppson guitar Anaconda model. This guitar is a handcrafted solid wood boutique guitar, and it happens to be my favorite.

Installation: 
I took my time as I always do and from start to finish installation took 1 hour. Please note that you should have a luthier from your local music store put pickups in for you unless you know what you are doing. It is normally a 1 - 2 hour charge + bench fee to have 2 pickups installed.

Sound
Amp used:
Vox Pathfinder 15r

Cables used:
Mogami

Just Neck:
A full meaty snap with a vintage warm tone

Neck and Bridge:
Almost mini humbucker like with brighter highs and full rich harmonics

Just Bridge:
Balls to the wall classic rock lead tone with an increased harmonic rage and never ending sustain

Reliability & Durability:
They are handmade with love. I had no problems with the set I got.

Impression: 
 
So where to start? As most of my readers know my all-time favorite humbuckers are the Seymour Duncan 59’s. They are priced right and are pretty damn close to my real 1959’s. When it come to spending more of my cash nine out of ten times the pickup manufacture just doesn’t do anything to make the pickups worth the difference in price. Even the Gibson reissues that sell for over $315 don’t sound any different.  So back to this review, these sound different. These didn’t sound like my original 59’s, or the Seymour Duncans. They sounded like, but better than, my bare knuckles PG Blues.  These pickups are hot with bell like qualities and rich smooth harmonics. They are incredibly touch sensitive and do not lose their tone when rolled back. They have huge attack and are very Gary Moore LP-sounding with an increased high end harmonic bite and fuller rounder sustain. They are what you expect to get when you pay $300 for boutique picks, a unique sound that has character with a classic vibe.  

My advice:
If you have a high end or vintage guitar that needs a little help in the tone area these are worth the extra cash; you really are getting over $300 worth of pickups.

Contact 
Ardizzi Pickups  
Buenos Aires, Argentina
54  1157074914
 

Posted 05/2012